National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from http://www.nami.org/
(800) 950-NAMI; email@example.com
May is Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month
NAMI celebrates Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month 2007 with the release of eight new Chinese-language fact sheets in addition to a new Korean American Community Mental Health Fact Sheet. View all of NAMI’s resources for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders here.
Quick facts on the Asian American/ Pacific Islander community:
· 14.4 mil. Est number of
· 3%. Growth of the Asian pop between 2004 and 2005; highest of any race group during that time period (total 421,000).
· 3.3 mil. Number of Asians of Chinese descent. Chinese-Americans are the largest Asian group, followed by Filipinos (2.8 mil), Asian Indians (2.5 mil), Vietnamese (1.5 mil), Koreans (1.4 mil) and Japanese (1.2 mil).
· 2.3 mil. Number of people 5 and older who speak Chinese at home. After Spanish, Chinese is the most widely spoken non-English language in the
· 1.4 mil. Number of Asians in
· 990,000. Est number of
· 1.5%. Growth of Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander pop between 2004 and 2005, the highest of any race group except for Asians.
-facts from U.S. Census Bureau, Facts for Features