Graham-Cassidy Bill is Dangerous For Mental Health
Just a few months ago, you helped defeat health reform efforts that would have left millions without insurance and cut insurance protections. But Senators Bill Cassidy (R-LA) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) introduced a new bill that is even more dangerous for people with mental illness.
With any health reform bill, NAMI asks the simple question, “Will Americans have more mental health coverage and better care?” With the Graham-Cassidy bill, the answer is unequivocally no.
While it is being promoted as offering more flexibility, their bill will make it harder for people to get psychiatric medications, case management and mental health services—and other people with mental illness will lose their coverage entirely.
The Graham-Cassidy bill:
- Allows states to drop the requirement to cover mental health care. Under this bill, states can let health insurance plans drop mental health benefits.
- Slashes billions from Medicaid. This would result in cuts to Medicaid services and eligibility, which would harm children and adults with mental illness.
- Ends Medicaid expansion. One in three people covered by Medicaid expansion lives with a mental health condition or substance use disorder.
- Cuts financial assistance to buy health insurance. This will leave many people unable to afford the coverage they need for mental health treatment.
Two ways you can help right now:
- Call your Senators (202) 224-3121 and tell them “The Graham-Cassidy bill is dangerous for people with mental illness. Please act for mental health and vote NO.”
- Email your Senators.