Call for Proposals
2020 NAMI National Convention Call for Proposals
Deadline for Submissions: October 31, 2019 (Midnight PDT)
Notification of Acceptance: January 25, 2020
Guidelines for submitting a proposal:
Review and Selection
The Convention theme Together Toward Tomorrow builds momentum around NAMI’s new strategic priorities and encourages everyone to engage in the NAMI movement.
NAMI strives to offer an inclusive and well-balanced program to appeal to a diverse audience. We seek to provide an excellent experience for each Convention attendee.
NAMI looks for dynamic presentations that align with NAMI’s 2020-2025 Strategic Plan goals. The objectives under each goal further describe what topics and issues we hope to see in proposals.
- People Get help Early
- People Get the Best Possible Care
- People Get Diverted from Justice System Involvement
Within each track, we expect presenters to focus on one of the following areas:
- Innovative New Approaches: How is your innovative state or local program/advocacy advancing one of our three goal areas?
- Proven Best Practice: How is your program, practice, or intervention showing a track record of success in one of our three goal areas?
- Advancements in Research: How is your research advancing the understanding, diagnosis, or treatment of mental illness?
- 75-minute traditional session
- Theater-style seating, head table for three
- Meeting room capacity varies
- LCD projector, screen, and podium provided
- Maximum of three presenters
- 30-minute concise presentation focused on a topic or concept
- Designated area in Exhibit Hall with riser and podium for presenter(s)
- Theater seating for 30 attendees
- LCD projector, screen, and podium mic provided
All submission must be made using the online webform. Applicants must submit all required information for each speaker on the proposal. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Use inclusive and respectful language in workshop descriptions and presentations. Ensure diversity and representative points of view among co-presenters and throughout workshop content. Presenters may not use a workshop as an opportunity to spotlight a company, product or service. NAMI reserves the right to edit or modify all session descriptions for inclusion in Convention materials.
If selected, all speakers must be available to speak during any timeframe of the Convention and must not request a change of the workshop date assigned.
Successful submissions must:
- Align with one or more Convention tracks
- Be interactive
- Be presented by no more than three presenters
- Leave time for questions and answers
- Offer tangible, take-home ideas or skills
Review and Selection
Submission of a proposal does not infer automatic inclusion in the Convention. Due to limitations, not all deserving proposals can be accommodated. Proposals are reviewed and rated by a team of subject matter experts. Reviewers will prioritize proposals to create a balanced program. All program decisions are at the discretion of NAMI.
NAMI staff will not provide guidance or suggestions to individual submitters during the submission period. Plenary sessions and Research Updates will be determined solely by NAMI and are not part of the Call for Proposals process.
All submitters will be notified about the status of their submission by January 25, 2020.
All accepted Workshop and Flash Session presenters are entitled to an exclusive speaker registration rate. NAMI has arranged for a discounted room block at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis for all Convention attendees. Discounted rooms are limited, so plan to register early and reserve your hotel room.
NAMI does not reimburse any speaker travel-related expenses including transportation or hotel accomodations.