NAMI is pleased to announce the two candidates running for the new Executive Director Council-elected seat on the 2021-2022 NAMI Board of Directors! One candidate will be elected to serve for the standard three-year board term.
In the 2020 NAMI Elections, the voting membership passed a bylaws amendment to add a new seat on the NAMI Board of Directors to be elected by the Executive Director Council (EDC), one of the four Advisory Councils to the NAMI Board. The elections process for this seat is similar to the process which the Peer Leadership Council (PLC) follows to fill their elected seat on the NAMI Board of Directors.
PLEASE NOTE: This election is running in parallel to the general election to fill five open seats on the NAMI Board of Directors. While it has the same deadlines and key dates, only Executive Directors will be voting to elect one of the two candidates to fill this seat.
Information about the elections process for this EDC-elected seat on the Board, including requirements for nominating candidates, can be found in the 2021 EDC Election Information document.
Candidates for the Executive Director Council-elected seat on the NAMI Board of Directors
Both nominees are NAMI members as well as the current Executive Director at a NAMI Affiliate or NAMI State Organization. Nominations were made and seconded by fellow EDC members by the nomination deadline, which is 60 days prior to NAMI's annual meeting.
In addition to their statements of candidacy and their NAMI affiliations and other Board service, each candidate profile includes the letter of nomination from the Executive Director recommending them for service to the NAMI Board and a summary of statements both the candidate and the nominator provided in support of their candidacy, along with a recorded speech. The candidates are listed in the order each accepted the nomination and confirmed they would serve on the Board if elected:
- Eric Welch, CFRE, Executive Director of NAMI Greater Orlando (FL), nominated by Nick Richard, Executive Director of NAMI St. Tammany (LA) and Ken Dority, Executive Director of NAMI Greenville (SC)
- Lauren B. Simonds, M.S.W., Executive Director of NAMI Washington, nominated by Sue Abderholden, Executive Director of NAMI Minnesota and Kate Farinholt, Executive Director of NAMI Maryland
2021 EDC Elections Key Dates
Below are important deadlines and key dates related to this year's EDC-elected Board seat elections process:
- May 24, 11:59 p.m. EDT: Candidate nominations for EDC-elected seat are due
- Week of June 21: Voting packets emailed to NAMI State Organization and NAMI Affiliate Executive Directors
- June 24: Online voting opens
- July 21, 6:00 p.m. EDT: Online voting closes
- July 24, 1:00-2:30 p.m. EDT: NAMI Annual Meeting; elections results will be announced (register here)
Voting Information Distribution
NAMI sent voting materials to NAMI State Organization and NAMI Affiliate Executive Directors on June 23. The email contained information on the election as well as guided Executive Directors to the NAMI website for details about candidates.
If you are an Executive Director but did not receive your voting information, please email [email protected] to update your current leadership contacts in NAMI 360.
NAMI sent each Executive Director their personal login information for the online voting system the week of June 21. Voting opened on Thursday, June 24 and will close on Wednesday, July 21 at 6:00 p.m. ET SHARP.
Election results will be reported at the virtual NAMI Annual Meeting on Saturday, July 24 (register here). Results will also be posted on www.nami.org/voting.
If you have questions about the 2021 NAMI voting and elections process, please send an email to [email protected]